Sunday, October 3, 2010

Thanks but No thanks to Dr. know it nothings

OK. So most of those who know me know I have made it one of my top priority things as Cartyrs mom, as a parent to make sure my child eats healthy. And others will tell you he is one of the healthiest kids I have ever met. He chooses fruit and vegetables over everything else, he will eat nuts before he eats chips, his crackers are always whole wheat or whole grain, he for some reason is not a fan of meat but LOVES tofu, he doesn't drink anything but milk, water and flavored water capri suns, ext. ext. ext. So as well as my strong opinion on making sure my kid eats healthy, I also have a huge dislike for Doctors. Now I know everyone has their opinions and I don't care. To be honest. I don't care if you vaccinate your child and they are fine, I don't care if your afraid of all the diseases returning, I don't care. What maters to me is I am the parent and it is MY CHOICE. I find it unnecessary to vaccinate my child against things that are of irrelevance to his age, I also find it unnecessary to shoot them up with all these vaccines at such and early age and all at once! Which leads me to my Dr. visit on Friday, Oct. 1st 2010.

Now I don't know if it is because I am single, or if it is because I look very young when I am all natural, but people often feel they can talk to me like I am a child myself, they enforce their opinions on me, or feel it necessary to ad their two cents. So with that let me say this, I got it. If I don't ask please don't feel free to tell. Thank you, but I may not be financially at the place of others, with a house of my own or what not but that doesn't mean I am a child, raising a child. I am 26..I have lived through more then most of you and frankly think I Probaly know more about parenting then some because I AM SINGLE. I have no one else to rely on but myself, I am Mom and Dad and have been from day one!!!!! I have chosen to put being with my son first rather then going back to a cooperate world in order to live up to the standards of others. Just like I have chosen to not vaccinate! Just like I have chosen to feed my child health food and just like I have chosen to live where I live.

With that being said, I am sitting in the exam room after the nurse, whom cant even pronounce Cartyrs name right and calls him CAR-TIRE, takes his height, weight and head measurments and hear her tell me this " So Car-tire is in the 80% for his height, and the 95% well a little above the 95% for his weight. Now I am not saying he needs to go on a diet I am just saying this is CAUSE FOR CONCERN!" I look at her and crack up.. literally laughing at her and ask if she is serious?? are you saying my son is fat? He does not have A ROLL on his body, I lift his shirt up and show her his stomach.. "Look you can see his ribs, he is Skinny" the nurse still with this know it all look on her face, "Well Mam I am going by the chart and it says he is over weight actually he is almost at 100% which would put him at obese." I just laugh, at jokingly tell cartyr "No more food for you fatty." So I am waiting for the Doc to come in and laughing still with Cartyr, cause I just think this nurse is a joke. When the doc arrives I tell him your nurse says my child is obese?!?!? He says "well lets take a look at the chart" I'm thinking "Oooo the chart lets look at this chart, more like let me See that chart so I can smack you upside the head with it" but I keep quiet and the Doc informs me yes my child is over weight, he prolly has a slow metabolism and that maybe "A few less happy meals and a few more fruits and vegetables" also "maybe a few more trips to the park" I am in shock. I am know laughing at the Doc and tell him he ONLY eats fruits and vegetable we NEVER EVER EVER EAT out, or eat FAST FOOD, the kid has had three happy meals his ENTIRE LIFE, and he wont even eat them, and he goes to the park, the pool, runs around the house like a Banche and plays for two hours at the jungle gym in the gym everyday. "Well we have to go by the chart and the chart says we need to keep a eye on him" WHATEVER!!!

SO after the food issue, I am also made aware by nurse knows nothing and Dr. Dumby that C needs to get caught up on his vaccines. "Listen I am here because my son had nemonia two weeks ago and is sick with a runny nose and sounds like he has fluid in his lungs again. We were told he was allergic to animals and I think it might not be a flu I think he is allergic to my brothers cat and two dogs" OK?!?!?!?! The doc checks C out and says ya its just a cold. Pushes the cold aside and continues to push vaccines but we will order test for allergies and also get him caught up on his blood work. Great, blood work.. What about now though, No antibiotics for this cold? No medicine? No nothing??? Just lets get to the vaccines???

After much discussion I agree to let them vaccinate Cartyr with the Chicken pox and Measles vaccine ONLY!!! And only because he is in school and those things ARE RELEVANT TO HIM.

So after that awful experience now C is crying cause of his shots, and I am crying because he is crying the nurse tells me, we can not do the blood work because your ins. doesn't cover it for 30 days because you switched over to us (I left previous pediatrician because of vaccine issues) so he will have to come back for that.

GREAT..So my main reason for coming, my main concern is swept under the rug, you guys are happy you shot up my kid and now make another app. to shoot him up again and get out?!?! Self talk "Jessica keep it together, Jessica be less Sicilian and more christian" I say fine make another follow up appointment and leave.

I WILL NOT BE RETURNING to Dr. Dumb butt and Nurse know it all! I will be switching to another Dr. on Monday and I will say this... I am the mom, I KNOW IT ALL AND ITS BECAUSE I SAY SO, not nurse I went to Jr college and Dr I payed for my degree. Buncha Bone Heads.

p.s. you better believe I had Starbucks after this visit and you better believe my overweight son got his chocolate milk WITH WHIP CREAM.

2 comments:

  1. Doctors & Nurses can be such- Dumb asses! You ARE the Mom, and have earned every right to say... "I'm the Mom, and it's because I said so!". The End!

    Just a side note: A lot of illnesses or viruses that were long considered gone when I was young, even when you were younger have started showing up again. Things like; TB, whooping cough and even polio. Largely because immigrants (not only Mexicans either) slip through the cracks and are little 'carrier monkeys' infecting our population with new or old diseases that our immune system can't fight off any longer. I think you were a wise mommy about the measles and chicken pox, kids can pass that around so quickly! Next doctor you go to ask about the whooping cough too.

    Suffrajet Jessica... You go Gurl!!!

    ReplyDelete